Dry fasting is the type of fasting referred to in the scriptures. When you read fast it is specifically a dry fast, not a water fast. Water fasting, although beneficial, is far less effective and does not provide the physical and spiritual cleansing that dry fasting does.
Moses dry fasted during his communion with Yahawah on the mountain:
- Exodus 34:28 | And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.
- Deuteronomy 9:9 | When I was gone up into the mount to receive the tables of stone, even the tables of the covenant which the LORD made with you, then I abode in the mount forty days and forty nights, I neither did eat bread nor drink water:
A prohet of Judah was commanded to dry fast.
- 1 Kings 13:9 | For so was it charged me by the word of the LORD, saying, Eat no bread, nor drink water, nor turn again by the same way that thou camest.
Our ancestors of the Southern Kingdom were commanded to dry fast during in their plight against the Edomites:
- Esther 4:16 | Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.
Ezra (Esdras) dry fasted during his walk as a prophet. The vision Yahawah sent to him spoke of dry fasting as well.
- Ezra 10:6 | Then Ezra rose up from before the house of God, and went into the chamber of Johanan the son of Eliashib: and when he came thither, he did eat no bread, nor drink water: for he mourned because of the transgression of them that had been carried away.
- 1 Esdras 9:2 | And remained there, and did eat no meat nor drink water, mourning for the great iniquities of the multitude.
- 2 Esdras 10:4 | And I do now purpose not to return into the city, but here to stay, and neither to eat nor drink, but continually to mourn and to fast until I die.
The arch angel Raphael speaking to Tobit and Tobias
- Tobit 12:15 | I am Raphael, one of the seven holy angels, which present the prayers of the saints, and which go in and out before the glory of the Holy One. [. . ] 19All these days I did appear unto you; but I did neither eat nor drink, but ye did see a vision.
To my knowledge, water fasting does not exist in the scriptures. Neither does eating a single type of food constitute as a fast.
- 2 Esdras 9:23 | Nevertheless, if thou wilt cease yet seven days more, (but thou shalt not fast in them, 24But go into a field of flowers, where no house is builded, and eat only the flowers of the field; taste no flesh, drink no wine, but eat flowers only;)
Not every has the strength to fast, even for periods as short as 3 days:
- Matthew 15:32 | Then Jesus called his disciples unto him, and said, I have compassion on the multitude, because they continue with me now three days, and have nothing to eat: and I will not send them away fasting, lest they faint in the way.
King David’s appearance during a fast in the verse below, this really happens on longer 7+ fasts:
- Psalms 109:24 | My knees are weak through fasting; and my flesh faileth of fatness. 25I became also a reproach unto them: when they looked upon me they shaked their heads.
Fasting is a way to humble to soul:
- Psalms 35:13 | But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into mine own bosom.
Fasting is pleasing to the Most High:
- Ezra 8:23 | So we fasted and besought our God for this: and he was intreated of us.
Certain strong devils only are removed through prayer and fasting:
- Mark 9:29 | And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.
Cornelius an Israelite who was immersed in heathen customs, fasted and received mercy:
- Acts 10:30 | And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing,
Yahawashi fasted and was directly tested by Satan during it:
- Matthew 4:1 | Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil. 2And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
ARTICLE: 10 Day Water Fast Experience