As it was prophesied for our disobedience:
- Deuteronomy 28:48 | Therefore shalt thou serve thine enemies which the LORD shall send against thee, in hunger, and in thirst, and in nakedness, and in want of all things: and he shall put a yoke of iron upon thy neck, until he have destroyed thee.
And again referenced in John’s vision:
- Revelation 12:14 | And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.
Isaiah and Jeremiah prophesied of it as well:
- Isaiah 1:4 | Ah sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evildoers, children that are corrupters: they have forsaken the LORD, they have provoked the Holy One of Israel unto anger, they are gone away backward. 5Why should ye be stricken any more? ye will revolt more and more: the whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint. 6From the sole of the foot even unto the head there is no soundness in it; but wounds, and bruises, and putrifying sores: they have not been closed, neither bound up, neither mollified with ointment. 7Your country is desolate, your cities are burned with fire: your land, strangers devour it in your presence, and it is desolate, as overthrown by strangers. 8And the daughter of Zion is left as a cottage in a vineyard, as a lodge in a garden of cucumbers, as a besieged city. 9Except the LORD of hosts had left unto us a very small remnant, we should have been as Sodom, and we should have been like unto Gomorrah
The type of “evil” (meaning “bad”), the way you are afflicted you receive while living is based on past sins, whether in this life or a prior one.
- Jeremiah 2:19 | Thine own wickedness shall correct thee, and thy backslidings shall reprove thee: know therefore and see that it is an evil thing and bitter, that thou hast forsaken the LORD thy God, and that my fear is not in thee, saith the Lord GOD of hosts. 20For of old time I have broken thy yoke, and burst thy bands; and thou saidst, I will not transgress; when upon every high hill and under every green tree thou wanderest, playing the harlot. 21Yet I had planted thee a noble vine, wholly a right seed: how then art thou turned into the degenerate plant of a strange vine unto me? 22For though thou wash thee with nitre, and take thee much soap, yet thine iniquity is marked before me, saith the Lord GOD. 23How canst thou say, I am not polluted, I have not gone after Baalim? see thy way in the valley, know what thou hast done: thou art a swift dromedary traversing her ways; 24A wild ass used to the wilderness, that snuffeth up the wind at her pleasure; in her occasion who can turn her away? all they that seek her will not weary themselves; in her month they shall find her. 25Withhold thy foot from being unshod, and thy throat from thirst: but thou saidst, There is no hope: no; for I have loved strangers, and after them will I go.
Yahawah, in his mercy, set the afflictions and miseries in our lives to be for our learning and correction.
- Romans 8:28 | And we know that all things work together for good to them that love YAHAWAH , to them who are the called according to his purpose.
- Proverbs 3:11 | My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of his correction:
- Hebrews 12:7 | If ye endure chastening, YAHAWAH dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
- Ecclesiasticus 4:17 | For at the first she will walk with him by crooked ways, and bring fear and dread upon him, and torment him with her discipline, until she may trust his soul, and try him by her laws. (metaphor for the Holy Spirit)
Part of the wisdom of being in the New Covenant is to accept chastisement with gratitude, the corrections and punishments will still continue to come for the purpose of our correction-the last thing we should be trying to do is evade them by our own doing.
- Ecclesiasticus 4:26 | Be not ashamed to confess thy sins; and force not the course of the river.
- Amos 5:19 | As if a man did flee from a lion, and a bear met him; or went into the house, and leaned his hand on the wall, and a serpent bit him.
- Jonah 2:2 | And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.
There is no peace, salvation or rest by any other, only the illusion of those things.
- Acts 4:12 | Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
- Proverbs 18:10 | The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.